Crochet hat #2

I am currently making an effort to finish off projects I have already started. Last week I finally finished a hat for my eldest that was requested while I was still working on the hat I made for my youngest back in Novemeber .

I let her pick the yarn from Red Apple Yarn our local lovely wool shop. I also asked what type of hat she wanted and the decision mainly involved her not wanting a hat like her sisters and it needed to have a bobble on the top.

Now I started crocheting this hat a couple of months ago after practising how to do a “magic loop” to start the round. Aiming to make a beanie style but as with my first hat I think I added too many stitches and and I very quickly got a very wobbly circle. Being stubborn I carried on adding layers, while slowly reducing the amount of stitches I was adding in the hope it would some how improve itself, somehow..

Anyway eventually I gave up on the beanie idea but instead of unpicking and starting again I decided to try and make it into a beret style. Amazingly  after several layers even stitching, slowly reducing and then drastically reducing it didn’t look too bad……….. Well that was until I put it on R head.

Sadly I didn’t consider taking any photos of this or the next attempt that look very quickly like a mini sombrero.

After more unpicking I decided that I liked the shape of little cone I had been created at the top half of the mini sombrero and decided maybe a pixie hat would been a good way forward. I created this by adding a stitch every half circle. I’m surprised that it still grew as fast as it did I was expecting the hat to be a bit taller by the time it was the right width for her head.

I added a few extra layers with no added stitches so it held snug to her head and could be folded up (as I had purposely made it to be slightly too big)

Next to add the all important bobble which meant I had to remind myself how to make pompoms I used the template from Homemade gifts made easy because it is much easier and quicker than the traditional method.

Then since I had recently failed to resist the lure of a craft magazine that happened to have a flower loom as it’s free gift it was decided that the hat needed 2! flowers as well.

Anyway the photos of the finished product. Ready just in time for the extended spring heat wave.

wpid-20150411_110858.jpg

wpid-20150411_172659.jpg wpid-20150411_172705.jpg wpid-20150411_172230.jpg

 

Your not imagining things that flowers are moving about as we were still deciding on where they should be and I was taking photos while I had the chance given the current weather I may not get the opportunity of quite a while.

And finally a lovely photo of my girls hiding in their hats. Maybe they will fit properly by next year.

wpid-20150411_190618.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Fun with the kids Jan 2015

Little late this week

My kids love colouring, painting, cutting and sticking. Glad to see my craftiness is rubbing off on them.

My main challenge is channelling this creative energy into tangible projects. (School and nursery don’t seem to have this problem.)

But for 2 shiny weekends this January we succeeded in working together to make some lovely projects I’m very proud of my kids for working on.

The Birds

R had a made a squirrel (with a hand print tail) in school last year and really wanted to make another one. I amazingly found a pot of greeny blue gluey paint that needed using up (left over from the Frozen castle). It was decided that a blue squirrel was probably a bit odd so I suggested making some birds instead.

On day one, we painted the cardboard tubes (a big one for E and a little one of R, because that is what they wanted). Then we made some hand prints (5 for E and 3 for R, again because that is what they wanted).

On day two, construction! we cut around the hand prints then stuck them too the cardboard tubes to make wings and tails. We cut out little triangles for beaks and added some googly eyes. Then E spotted some orange cellophane wrapping that had come from a pudding and decided that she wanted to use strips of it to make hair or top feathers.

20150118_16035820150118_160443

 

The Boxes

The next weekend the girls once again wanted to do some painting and I convinced them it was time to decorated some lovely mini orange crates that we get from co-op. (The girls love these for carrying round random bit in.)

On day one, we used yet more greeny blue gluey paint which had surprisingly not yet been used up to paint the top and sides of the boxes.

On day two, I let them loose with stickers and glitter glue to personalise.

 

20150123_164514

Before

20150123_164453

Painting

 

20150128_132529

Finished

I am very please with my girlie’s work and thought it worth showing off. Hope you enjoyed too.